Men’s Basketball Earns Overtime Victory Over Mariners, 74-69

Men’s Basketball Earns Overtime Victory Over Mariners, 74-69

CASTINE, Maine – Maine Maritime hit a three-pointer as time expired in regulation to force overtime, but Castleton University tightened its defense and scored enough points in the extra session to defeat the Mariners, 74-69, Friday evening in a North Atlantic Conference men's collegiate basketball game.

Down 47-45 with nine minutes left in the second half, Castleton scored eight unanswered points over the next three minutes to pull ahead, 53-47. After the game went back-and-forth, Maine Maritime put together a 7-0 scoring run, capped by three-pointers from Nicholas DePatsy and Brendan Newcomb to give the Mariners a 61-60 lead with 22 seconds on the clock.

Chad Copeland put Castleton back on top with a layup with seven seconds left in regulation, and then he hit two free throws to extend the Spartan lead to 64-61. Newcomb hit a three-pointer just as time expired to tie the game at 64-64, forcing Castleton to play its third overtime game over the last seven contests.

Newcomb started the overtime period with another three-pointer to give Maine Maritime the early lead, but Pavin Parrish answered with his own three-pointer to create another tie at 67-67. Neither team scored for two minutes, and then Copeland set up Tondi Mushandu for a layup to give the Spartans the lead for good.

After Tyler Thayer made one free throw, Copeland made a layup with 1:17 left in the overtime period to extend the Spartan lead to three. Thayer made another free throw, but Julian Santos hit two free throws with 10 seconds remaining, and Maine Maritime was unable to make another field goal in the overtime session.

Copeland shot 12-of-17 from the field and 4-of-6 from the free throw line to lead the Spartans with 30 points, while Edmund Fitzgerald notched a double-double with 18 points on 8-of-11 shooting from the field and 11 rebounds. As a team, Castleton shot 57.1 percent (28-of-49) from the field, including 5-of-11 from behind the three-point line, and 61.9 percent (13-of-21) from the free throw line.

DePatsy led Maine Maritime with 22 points, hitting 8-of-16 shots from the field, including 6-of-12 from behind the three-point line. Thayer finished with 12 points and seven assists, and Nick Judge added 11 points, five rebounds, five assists, and four steals.

Maine Maritime (4-18, 1-14 NAC) shot 42.4 percent (25-of-59) from the field, including 10-of-22 from behind the three-point line, and 47.4 percent (9-of-19) from the free throw line. Although Castleton dominated the rebounding battle, 41-24, the Mariners stayed in the game by scoring 26 points off 20 Castleton turnovers.

Ben Mrowka hit a three-pointer to open the game, but Maine Maritime scored the next seven points to take the early lead. The Spartans rallied from a six-point deficit with seven straight points midway through the first half, five of them scored by Copeland, and the game remained within one possession either way through the rest of the first half until midway through the second half.

Castleton (15-6, 10-5 NAC) faces conference leader Husson Saturday, Feb. 11, at 1 p.m. The Eagles remained three games ahead of the second-place Spartans with a 70-45 victory over Green Mountain Friday night.