Men's Hockey Grinds Out 2-2 Draw at Skidmore

Men's Hockey Grinds Out 2-2 Draw at Skidmore

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – The Castleton men's hockey team went to overtime for the second straight game on Friday night, this time playing to a 2-2 tie against Skidmore in a New England Hockey Conference contest.

The Spartans move to 8-9-5 overall and 7-5-3 in NEHC play, remaining one point ahead of Skidmore and UMass-Boston in fourth place. The Thoroughbreds move to 8-11-3 overall and 7-6-2 in conference play following the result.

Kevin Rosset and Trevor Hanna had the Spartan goals, while Troy Taylor notched a pair of assists in the contest. Ryan Mulder stopped 31 shots in the tie, his fourth 30-plus save performance in his last five games.

Anthony Bird had Skidmore's first goal, unassisted, while Mickey Foley had the second goal of the game for the Thoroughbreds. Brandon Kasel made 20 saves in the game, 15 of which came in the first two periods.

The two sides skated back-and-forth for the opening half of the first period before Skidmore struck first at the 12:06 mark with Castleton on a power play. Bird notched his fourth shorthanded goal of the season to put his team up, 1-0. The Spartans answered quickly, however, as Rosset netted his third goal of the season on an assist from Taylor to level the score at 1-1 going into the locker room.

The second period featured more even play between the two teams, but the Thoroughbreds once again jumped out to a lead. With 16:33 elapsed in the second period, Foley got on the score sheet, beating Mulder on assists from Max Hegge and Sam Loizeaux to make it 2-1 in favor of the home side. Castleton bounced back once more with a goal of its own, as Hanna got his seventh goal of the season on an assist from Taylor, his second of the game, with just 1:18 to play in the second period.

Both teams came out in search of the go-ahead goal in the third, with Skidmore applying heavy pressure in the form of 11 shots on goal. Mulder stood tall, turning away each of the 11 shots in the final frame of regulation. The Spartans had five shots of their own, but Kasel matched Mulder shot-for-shot, stopping each of the five attempts. Each team had a man advantage in the final regulation period, though each was unsuccessful, sending the game to overtime.

Neither team had an advantage early in the overtime period, but the Spartans received a power play with 1:26 to go after a Skidmore cross-checking penalty. That turned into a 5-on-3 edge just 23 seconds later as Skidmore was charged with a slashing penalty. Castleton couldn't cash in before the final horn, being held without a shot in the overtime period as the game ended in a tie.

The two teams face off again on Saturday night at Spartan Arena at 7 p.m.