Men's Soccer Falls to Clarkson, 2-0

Men's Soccer Falls to Clarkson, 2-0

CASTLETON, Vt. – The Castleton men's soccer team allowed a pair of early second-half goals and visiting Clarkson was able to hold on for a 2-0 victory Friday night at Spartan Stadium.

With the loss, Castleton fell to 1-3 on the season. Clarkson, meanwhile, improved to 3-1 with the win.

A back-and-forth opening half was dominated by the defensive units, as neither team was able to find the back of the net in the first 45 minutes. Jack Kingdon came away with an early opportunity but his shot sailed just wide in the sixth minute, and Aaron Parker saved all three shots he faced to keep the game scoreless after the first stanza.

The Spartans controlled possession for the opening minutes of the second half, with Jacob Godfrey smashing a shot just wide from inside the box and Kingdon looking to capitalize on a corner kick in the 48th minute.

Clarkson was able to clear and find an opening on the offensive end, as the scoreless draw broke in the 53rd minute. Brandon Bahr controlled the ball toward the Spartan goal line and fed a cross in front to Mack Walton, who one-timed it under the outstretched arms of Parker for the first goal of the match.

The Golden Knights forced a quick turnover and once again went on the offensive attack, doubling their lead less than a minute later. Parker made two quick diving saves from shots inside the box, but the ensuing rebound skipped directly to Drew Lewis, who placed a low shot into an empty net to extend Clarkson's lead to 2-0 in the 54th minute.

Castleton looked for a quick response out of Sean Springer, but his header lifted into the waiting arms of Clarkson goalkeeper Ian Roeloffs to keep the score in tact. Roeloffs was not going to allow the Spartans to get on the board, coming away with a spectacular save on a penalty kick in the 64th minute. After a handball foul inside the box, Kingdon struck a low line-drive shot that Roeloffs caught on his way to the ground diving to his left. The Spartans earned one more opportunity down the stretch, but Derek Blouin's header was lifted just over the cross bar and Clarkson was able to hold on for the 2-0 victory.

Parker finished the night with seven saves on nine shots, but fell to 1-3 on the season with the loss. Roeloffs improved to 3-1 with five saves en route to the shutout. Clarkson held an advantage in shots, 15-11, including 9-5 on goal. Corner kicks finished even at 5-5, while the Spartans committed eight fouls to Clarkson's 15.

The Spartans will return to the pitch at 12 p.m. on Sunday to face Potsdam in a non-conference matchup at Spartan Stadium.