RUTLAND, Vt. – The Castleton University women's tennis team dropped its first match of the season, 6-3 to the Plattsburgh State Cardinals on Sunday afternoon. Castleton is now 1-1 on the season, following the loss at the Grand Slam Tennis Arena in downtown Rutland, while Plattsburgh stays unscathed at 2-0.
Later in singles, Nadler triumphed in a hard-fought three-set match. The two players began by trading holds of serve, bringing the set to 4-4. In the next game, the Plattsburgh player was able to grab a break and serve out the set.
Nadler fought back to take the second set in a tiebreak, scoring seven points to four. In the final set super tiebreak, the Rutland, Vt. native was first to 10 points, only ceding four on the way. Nadler is now 4-0 on the year in singles and doubles play.
Also earning a point for the Spartans was Danarose Weaver in singles. The freshman took out her opponent in three sets. In the first set, she rode a break in the match's third game to clinch at 6-4. Following the second set loss, she earned the match victory with a 10-4 triumph in the final set.
Women's tennis, barring more inclement weather, will return to the Castleton Tennis Courts at 4 p.m. on Tuesday for a non-conference match against Green Mountain College.
Plattsburgh State 6, Castleton University 3
1. Kelci Henn (PLATTSBURGH) def. Ciara Bannister (CASTLETON) 6-3, 6-1
2. Megan Nadler (CASTLETON) def. Shari Forman (PLATTSBURGH) 4-6, 7-6, 10-4
3. Sierra Barrett (PLATTSBURGH) def. Kirsten Kruk (CASTLETON) 7-5, 6-0
4. Erin Wiggins (PLATTSBURGH) def. Kayla Zsido (CASTLETON) 6-3, 6-3
5. Nadine Ciardulli (PLATTSBURGH) def. Emily Miller (CASTLETON) 6-2, 6-1
6. Danarose Weaver (CASTLETON) def. Ashley Wilson (PLATTSBURGH) 6-4, 2-6, 10-4
@CastletonSports | IG: castletonsports | FB: Caslteton University Athletics