Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Castleton Spartans

Spartans Shut Down Farmington 22-2

Spartans Shut Down Farmington 22-2

FARMINGTON, Maine – Castleton led just 3-0 after the first quarter but scored nine times in the second to take control on the way to a 22-2 victory over the University of Maine at Farmington on Saturday afternoon. 

The Spartans outshot the Beavers 60-15 in the contest and picked up 19 more ground balls (41-22) as they improved to 5-3 and 2-0 in the North Atlantic Conference. UMF did force 16 Castleton turnovers, but lost 20 of 27 faceoffs as the team dropped to 0-5 and 0-2 in conference play. 

It was a balanced scoring attack for the Spartans as 16 different players recorded a point and none had more than five. Freshman Kyle Lutinski paced the offense with a career-high five points on three goals and two assists while Sam Siegel also added five points, on two goals and three assists. Louis Alhage dished off a team-high four assists while Isaac Devoid picked up seven ground balls and won 6 of 8 faceoffs.

For the Beavers, Travis St. Pierre scored both goals while Sean Zubrod picked up nine ground balls and caused five turnovers. Caleb Carr was solid in net as he made eight saves while allowing 22 goals. 

Tom Pardew broke open the scored at 8:23 of the first quarter, while Graeme Pike and Lutinski registered goals 34 seconds apart for a 3-0 lead after the opening 15 minutes. 

Freshman Jason Sedell and senior Zach Devoid scored in the first two minutes of the second quarter for a 5-0 advantage. The offense kept rolling as six different players recorded seven goals over the final 11:30 of the period for a 12-0 lead at the half. 

Isaac Devoid scored off a feed from Ryan Stone early in the third quarter, and goals by Connor Kelly, Colin Clark and Drew Wood extended the lead to 16-0, before St. Pierre gave UMF its first goal with 8:08 left. Castleton outscored the Beavers 6-1 over the final 23 minutes of regulation to secure the 20-goal victory 

Senior Peter Latulippe earned the win as he played the opening 13:36 without allowing a goal. Freshman Romello Lindsey came on in relief and made two saves over 16:24. Freshman Brandon Myron played the final 30 minutes and made three saves while allowing both goals. 

The Spartans return to action on Tuesday when they host Skidmore at 7 pm.