Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Castleton Spartans

Spartan Men’s Lacrosse Falls at MIT Tuesday

Spartan Men’s Lacrosse Falls at MIT Tuesday

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Castleton University held the lead throughout the first half and the beginning of the second half, but a significant scoring run allowed MIT to pull ahead and eventually defeat the Spartans, 19-13, Tuesday afternoon in a non-conference collegiate men's lacrosse match at Roberts Field.

Jason Sedell started the scoring for Castleton just over three minutes into the game, and then Kevin McCarthy scored his fifth goal in the past two games, with Kyle Lutinski notching his seventh assist in the span of 24 hours. After Harris Stolzenberg scored MIT's first goal of the game, Lutinski took a pass from Peyton Faasse and tallied his first goal of the season.

MIT (6-3) took advantage of a man-up situation late in the first period to close to within one at 3-2, but Castleton struck quickly in the second period, scoring four goals in the first three minutes of the quarter, led by Faasse and Lutinski with a goal and an assist apiece.

After taking timeout, MIT worked its way back into the match, as four different Engineers scored goals to bring the home team back within one at halftime, 7-6. Graham Davis started the scoring run with his second goal of the match, and Stolzenberg earned his second goal of the afternoon to conclude the scoring streak.

The Spartans extended their lead to 9-6 two minutes into the third period on goals by Sam Frackleton and McCarthy, but the Engineers quickly tied the game at 9-9 with three goals in the span of 30 seconds. With 9:31 remaining in the third quarter, MIT took the lead for good as Michael Traub set up Jack Strachan for a goal.

The Engineers continued to find the back of the net, scoring five more times in a row, with Davis earning two of those goals. Castleton finally swung the momentum back towards its side with three goals in the final two minutes of the third quarter, including two in a row by Sedell in the final 19 seconds, to close the Spartan deficit to 15-12.

MIT pulled away with two goals in the first 1:38 of the fourth quarter while holding Castleton scoreless until Sam Siegel scored with 2:13 remaining in regulation. In the second half, the Engineers won 13-of-19 faceoffs, committed just eight turnovers after 11 first half turnovers, collected more ground balls than the Spartans (18-12), and outshot Castleton 25-17.

For the second straight day, Lutinski led the team in total points with seven thanks to two goals and five assists, while Sedell finished with a hat trick as well as four caused turnovers. Louis Alhage earned two goals, one assist, and five ground balls during the afternoon, Frackleton and McCarthy also scored two goals apiece, and Faasse contributed one goal, two assists, four ground balls, and two caused turnovers.

Davis led the Engineers with five goals, Stolzenberg scored four goals, and Strachan earned three goals and two assists. Traub contributed two goals and two assists, and Mitch Turley also scored twice during MIT's 13-2 scoring stretch after the Engineers fell behind 7-2 early in the second period.

Spartan goalie Brandon Myron finished with 15 saves, nine of them coming in the first quarter. Victor Fink started the game in net for MIT and made three saves, but Alexander Lynch replaced him at the start of the third quarter and was credited with the victory despite earning just one save.

Castleton (5-5) returns home to prepare for back-to-back contests at Spartan Stadium this weekend, hosting Husson Saturday, April 8, and SUNY Potsdam Sunday, April 9, with both contests starting at 1 p.m.