Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Castleton Spartans

Shuttle Lifts Women's Lacrosse to Victory on Opening Day

Shuttle Lifts Women's Lacrosse to Victory on Opening Day

NEWBURGH, N.Y. – The Castleton University women's lacrosse team opened its season with a win on Sunday afternoon, tying the game with less than one minute to play before winning 8-7 in overtime at Mount Saint Mary College.

Erin Shuttle tied the game at 7-7 with just 50 seconds to play in regulation before scoring the game-winning goal with 23 seconds on the clock in the first overtime period. Castleton trailed by two goals on two different occasions, but the Spartans were resilient throughout as they leveled the game on both occasions.

Shuttle and Morgan Derosia each had a pair of goals on the afternoon, while Megan Krumm and Emma Best chipped in with a goal and an assist each. Derosia added an assist to lead the team with three points, while Erin McKenna and Megan Wood added Castleton's other goals. Samantha Hebb stopped nine shots in goal in her first win of the season.

Mount Saint Mary was led by a hat trick from Courtney Condron, while four other individuals added a goal apiece. Annie Dolan was one of the goal scorers, adding an assist for a two-point day. Jackie Finkel made 10 saves for the Knights in the season-opening loss.

Castleton finished the day with a 29-17 advantage in shots and an 18-16 edge in shots on goal. The Spartans also finished the day with slim edges in groundballs at 23-21 and draw controls, 9-8. Castleton finished 11-for-17 in clearing chances, while Mount Saint Mary finished the day 13-for-24.

The Spartans never led in the contest until the final goal hit the twine in overtime, and trailed twice by two goals. Dolan and Condron each scored in the opening seven minutes to build a 2-0 lead for the Mount in the early going before Castleton answered with back-to-back goals by Krumm and Wood. Condron's second of the game pushed the Knights in front 3-2 with just over six minutes left before halftime, but Derosia potted her first of two goals with 1:05 to play to send it into halftime tied at 3-3.

Castleton held the edge in overall shots in the opening stanza, 14-6, but finished with just a 7-6 advantage in shots on target. Groundballs were even at 11 per side before halftime, while the Spartans won six of the seven draw controls contested in the first half.

Coming out of the break, the Mount built its lead back to two goals when Alyssa DiMare and Providence Gilkey scored their first goals of the season to push the Knights in front 5-3. The Spartans again rallied with a pair of unanswered goals, tying it at 5-5 behind the strength of goals from McKenna and Best with 15:20 to play. The tie was short-lived, as Condron completed the hat trick just two minutes later to push the Knights ahead 6-5.

After nearly nine minutes of scoreless action following Condron's third goal, Derosia leveled the game at 6-6 with a free-position goal. Jackie Lindsay gave the Mount a 7-6 advantage with just 2:06 left to play, but Shuttle responded with the equalizer with 50 seconds left to even things again before Hebb denied a shot in the closing seconds to send the game into extra time.

Mount Saint Mary won the opening draw of overtime, but following a turnover, the Spartans finished off the win when Shuttle buried a pass from Best with 23 seconds left in the period to give the visitors their only lead of the day.

Castleton returns to action on Tuesday at Union. Game time is slated for 4 p.m.